Philippines Cauayan Mission

Monday, July 2, 2012

2 July 2012



           
Magandang Hapon po!


Kamusta na kayo!?
Wala naman transfer sa akin ngayon. Now I officially get the privilege of spending the next 6 weeks in Mallig! Elder Llorin was finally given the boot after being here 6 months. I can't help but laugh that there are many missionaries that havn't been out as long as me, but they still have several more areas and companions than me. I guess I have the tendency to stay in areas a little longer than most. I thought it was funny how Elder Allen ended up getting one of my last companions Elder Sister. He begged me for any advice or anything to warn him about, but I simply told him to go into it with the attitude of it being his best cycle yet and what he doesn't know doesn't hurt him. My new companion is Elder Oyardo, and of course, Fillipino. He speaks little to no English which means I am by default the only bridge between the Shaners and whatever translation help they need.
Last week was also interesting because I got to talk to Elder Hawlader, the first missionary to serve a mission out of the 43 members in the country of Bangladesh. Luckily he speaks decent English so he can get around okay. He told a pretty awesome conversion story and seems how there are no missionaries allowed in Bangladesh, he was baptized by the U.S. Ambassador that lives in the embassy. Every week all 43 members in the country of Bangladesh meet together in a meetinghouse, including the US Ambassador. It is even more cool that he is being trained by Elder Landeen (friend from my MTC batch) in my first area of Cabagan.
That is going to be super weird with Dad actually having a few hours of free time from not being bishop anymore! Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be back in no time in the Young Mens with the pesky 12 year olds. Haha. And by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! You should all have a good weekend down in Big Lake inhaling the smoke and ashes. Sounds like a good time not to be home! Haha. Make sure and launch a few fireworks and shoot a few guns to celebrate the 4th of July for me.
Dad asked about how much of our time is spent with investigators or recent converts and Less Actives. Because of our new focus of Less Actives, and of our obligation to teach newly baptized members for at least a year after they are baptized, not very much time at all is with investigators. I can't even remember the last time I've had to do 'tracting'. If we ever have a hole in our schedule we need to fill, we go through the records of the newly baptized because most likely they are not active. We basically only pick up new investigators if they are a referral or if the person comes up to us and asks us if we can teach them ,which happened to a 17 year old girl last week that just started showing up to church randomly. She said her whole family is Catholic (as with every other person in the Philippines), but she just felt like there wasn't something right. Then she remembered seeing missionaries several years ago and decided to give it a shot.
Oh, Elder Teh from the 70 will be coming here in a few weeks and asked us to come with a doctrinal question. Any good ideas?
Well I think thats it for this week. Have a good week!
Mahal Kita,
Elder Nay

No comments:

Post a Comment