Philippines Cauayan Mission

Monday, November 28, 2011

28 November 2011


The flood just outside our house

      Magandang Hapon po!

Gobble gobble gobble! Except all I heard here was rice hitting the plate. I know you're all jealous! Sounds like a good time was had by all with everyone being together and shooting away mom and Chala's birthday. Definitely no such thing as Thanksgiving and eating a lot of good food here. Just another day at work! It has rained here everyday for the past week and is very nice with a breeze and cloudy to keep the relentless sun at bay. I don't know if there is any such thing as a thermometer around here, but if I were to guess it has been between 60-70 degrees the whole week which has been very pleasant. Only to me and Elder Tangi though. All of the Fillipinos are complaining about how cold it is and actually putting on socks and long sleeve shirts and jackets and beanies. I only had to use a sweat rag once this week, which is a record low. Because it rained so much though, there are a lot of places that are flooded out. As soon as we step out of the gate to our house we are walking in an unavoidable puddle that is about 6 inches deep. After the first day of having my waterproof shoes filled with water I decided I'd switch to the Keens. Its been pretty fun. 
This week Elder and Sister Breese came to work with us again for the same tatay as last time (the eternal investigator). Its good having them come because they can relate to him and get him to think more about baptism much better than Elder Tangi and I can. When we go back, he asks us when they are going to come back. We are really hoping and praying that he will open his eyes a little more and follow through with our commitment to him to pray about it. Hopefully with the Breese's help we'll get him to commit pretty soon. The Breese's are pretty awesome-he is 79 and I think she is 72, and they are still kickin around like its not a problem. They also have a 2 year mission here but leaving in July, but then they're going to go on another one. What champs! It was kind of funny when they came because there was a miscommunication and president never told us that they would be coming for sure so they called in the middle of our weekly planning and said they were waiting for us. It all worked out though.
We went to Tuguegarao for 2 baptisms on saturday so that is always great. We normally take a van or catch a bus to and from Tuguegarao but seems how we ate dinner there we ended up not being done until about 9:15, when buses come only once or twice every hour. After waiting a police checkpoint for about 15 mins on the highway waiting for a bus to show up, the police stopped some delivery truck going to Manila and had us hitch a ride with them. It was nice because it was free! Too bad there's none of that back home if you need a ride.
Yesterday at church Elder Tangi and I got to bless the sacrament and give talks. Surprise! It wasn't too bad though. After the stake presidency coming in last week, the members are much more helpful in giving us referrals. I'm still not sure when we're going to be able to contact them though because we are already booked all week. 
This thursday is transfer day so we'll see what happens. Elder Tangi will most likely be getting transferred which will be weird for me to have a different companion here seems how he has been my trainer for 12 weeks. 
Today is Elder Tangi's birthday so with the help of some members, we're throwing a little party at a members house and inviting several of our investigators. Elder Tangi plans to buy several big tubs of ice cream for us all which is very expensive (at least for Philippine standards) so that should be yummy. 
Well thats about it for this week. Let you know what the news is with transfers next week. Happy baby blessing! 
Mahal kita,
Elder Nay

No comments:

Post a Comment