Philippines Cauayan Mission

Monday, May 28, 2012

28 May 2012



Magandang Hapon po!

Kamusta na po kayo!?
Happy Memorial day to you! Definitely no such thing as Memorial Day here, so shoot a few guns and have a few barbecues on my behalf. 
There isn't anything too exciting that happened this week other than we got to go to Tuguegarao for a couple hours because that is the closest patriarch for Elder Llorin to get his patriarchal blessing. It was kind of fun to go back to some of my old stomping grounds and be in a few buildings that actually have air conditioning. We even got to celebrate the occasion by going out to eat at McDonald's, just because we could! It's kind of funny that eating at McDonald's here is considered a nice treat. Even though I wasn't actually with him while he got his blessing, it still caused me to reflect on my blessing a little more. I realized how much more I have been able to learn and experience from when I first got it over 4 years ago. I also realized how much I miss having private transportation to get places rather than having to squish 20 people in a van only meant for 12 for 2 hours, or in a chicken bus sitting next to someone puffing a cancer stick for 2 hours, or how nice it is to have roads that don't have gigantic potholes to swerve around. 
Other than going to Tuguegarao, it was just a normal week of sweating and not being able to teach because of rain. Except this week, we learned our lesson about lightning and decided to take a tricy back to our apartment so we didn't get fried. This is definitely the worst lightning and rain storms I have ever been in. Sometimes there is literally flashes of lightning every second or 2, all very close by. 
Tomorrow I will be sending my virus infected memory card home in an envelope, so hopefully it will get there in 2-3 weeks. If not, some Fillipino postal worker will enjoy a free card. 
Mom-I think I sent Sister Shaners email a few weeks ago, but it's .... 
Sometimes it continues to surprise me how intelligent some people are about the Gospel doctrine. We have several investigators that are abnormally intelligent and interested when it comes to learning about the Church. Sometimes we ask them questions about stuff we havn't talked about yet, and they still give a textbook answer straight out of the Book of Mormon. We are really fortunate here to have a good set of investigators and we are finally starting to see some less actives coming back. 
I also had an interesting experience in church yesterday.  During Sunday school, just after Elder Llorin and I finished teaching Gospel Principles, I immediately noticed an absence of spirit in the meetinghouse due to several people yelling at each other about who was right and wrong during their lesson. Over time, voices got louder and more people got involved to where it soon got out of control. It was an obvious moment of awkwardness and discomfort, especially because we had several investigators with us listening to what was happening. The situation kept spiraling downward and before I could even think about it, I found myself in front of all of them getting all their attention. When I started to speak to them, I felt my heart pounding and voice shaking from the spirit and the entire meetinghouse went silent. I told them that I didn't know what they were arguing about, nor did it really matter, but I had noticed an absence of spirit because of what was happening and that they needed to stop. A few last words were said by people seeking a victory and wanting me to pick a side, then I told the Sunday school president to close up the meeting. Immediately afterwards was Sacrament meeting and it was honestly the first sacrament meeting in Mallig that I have felt the Spirit. The talks were fitting and delivered well, and the Branch President gave a powerful testimony at the end of the meeting. I still can't figure out how it was my worst and best day at church in Mallig and how the mood changed so quickly, but it was a memorable experience. 
Well, that is it for this week. Salamat po sa inyong suportahan sa akin. 
Mahal Kita, 
Elder Nay

No comments:

Post a Comment